This is the one post that will not be adequate. It doesn't even touch the chaos that Port au Prince is. The loud streets, horns blaring, people yelling...the smell, diesel, exhaust, refuse..the smell was visible at times. The children running up to our vehicle to dust it off for money, the adults that would stand at our car window with their hands out until we began to move again...and sometimes they would follow. The driving was INSANE and yet God granted me sanity throughout our time in the vehicle. It truly was a constant game of chicken...who will swerve first? We were head on with tap-taps, buses, mack trucks....I'm here to say that it was INSANE. I would tease Steve and told him to go back to work and share with the guys that if they want to cure their wife of "side seat driving" take them to Haiti! We even drove in the pitch dark our first night there and the only thing we could see were dark faces hovered over candles and their market bowls....my only peace in that moment was the sweet little boy I was finally holding in my arms.
Let's put it this way: I took a "chill out" pill for my first two flights because I was so scared of the airplane. After 4 days of driving in PaP, I did NOT need a chill pill for my flights home...they were NOTHING compared to being on the ground!!!
Let's put it this way: I took a "chill out" pill for my first two flights because I was so scared of the airplane. After 4 days of driving in PaP, I did NOT need a chill pill for my flights home...they were NOTHING compared to being on the ground!!!
This trash was actually dropped near a dumpster. Throughout the city, most trash was just piled here and there.
A Tap Tap: Haitian Taxi. They would load up as many as they could and take off. Sometimes they would stop in the middle of the street to reload!
U.N. Truck with armed men in the back.
Haitian homes on the outskirts of PaP.
The Presidential Palace
CHICKEN!!!!
The crowded street where our agency office (Nacia) was located.
He's an icon everywhere...Michael Jackson.
The quiet path to our guesthouse. This is what we walked to the market.
Along our path to the market....afraid his future is bleak...along with the cow up in the thicket, the roosters that crowed ALL night long, and the dogs that howled every hour on the hour....
The clouds moving across the mountains...
And finally, a sight for sore eyes....there are no words.


5 comments:
Very familiar looking scenes. I hope we all get to return soon!!
That is a little angel in that last picture...just precious!♥
I agree, words and pictures cannot adequately express the reality. But you did a great job just the same. :)
I really am thankful we were able to meet and maybe one of these days we will cross paths stateside with our handsome boys in tow. God is so good to make connections we couldn't even imagine back when our journey first began!
Every time I come home I feel like I'm in a time warp.
You're right- It's impossible to put in to words, but you sure did a good job of it anyway! It's weird... I am finding myself missing Haiti now that I don't have any children there to go visit.
Post a Comment