XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Monday, June 2, 2008

Why Adoption?

I thought I would begin a series this week regarding our personal decisions regarding adoption, Haiti, transracial adoptions, & the various issues at hand. Feel free to pipe in on any occasion, as long as it's kept positive & God glorifying.

Why are we adopting?

One thing that I've come to realize are some questions need an answer, even when you think the answer would be obvious. By that, I mean that I live in somewhat of a "bubble." We are a part of a wonderful body of believers who encourage this endeavor any chance they get. I'm so thankful for a Christian perspective, and honestly, without the love of people found within our fellowship, I don't know if I'd have ever been able to take that first initial step. However, you step outside of the bubble into the environment of the world, or even your family, and life decisions like this one take on a new perspective. One of the first questions we had to face wasn't even regarding the fact that we're adopting internationally or transracially (though that's a topic that's sure to come) but that we're adopting at all!

Why are you adopting? You already have two perfectly healthy, happy kids! You need to provide for the ones God's given you and be content. Adopted kids have issues. It won't ever be the same.....and further discouraging remarks have marked my journey thus far.

Maybe I'm simplistic in my thinking, but it seems to me if your love tank is overflowing and you want to heap it on as many as you can while you pass through this life, why ever not? I would never, ever in a million years claim that I've come into parenting perfection. Parenting is difficult. The hours are long, the worries are often great, the expense is tremendous. When one becomes a parent, it truly is as if your heart is walking around outside of your body, blowing kisses, getting boo boos, and in general always on your mind.

However, I will never cease to be amazed at the reward. I feel as though I've been gifted with tremendous blessings in my children. Blessings that don't stop in the eyes of my children, but proceed directly to my Heavenly Father. He's taught me so much about Him as I walk the road of parenthood. So maybe, just maybe, if we adopt yet another child into our home, we'll learn more of who He is, in a whole new way. And I want to know Him.

I agree that there's something to be said for contentment. If the Lord chooses for some reason to keep our family at the great American dream level (you know, one boy, one girl and a dog...'cept minus the dog...we're just not dog people), we're blessed, blessed, blessed! There was a time when I did want another baby and my heart was discontent because I wanted to please myself and my desire. Thankfully, God didn't leave me there, but taught me more of what pleases Him. However, I just love being a mom. Steve and I crashed on the couch the other night after putting the children to bed and all of the details that go along with that (allergy meds, drinks of water, night lights, one more huggy, and don't let the bed bugs bite..YOU EITHER!) And you know what we said to one another? "I love being a mom." "I love being a dad...it's great!"

As for adopted kids and their issues....well, methinks we all have issues. The root of all issues would be our own sinful hearts. My biological children have issues. I have issues. My husband has issues. For an adopted child to be ushered into a home where we desire to be Christ to them and lead them to Him, the ultimate Healer, I believe that's the best we could do. The very best that anyone could have is Christ. We're just thirsty sinners that are blessed to know the Living Water and we're willing to lead our thirsty little ones to Him.

No, it won't ever be the same. It will be better. God refines us everyday. This is a particular path that He's leading us down right now to refine us...make us more like Him. Refining isn't always easy, but it's amazing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well written, and straight from the heart!♥

Anonymous said...

This is somewhat off-topic, but while I'm thinking about it, I just wanted to let you know about something... An organization called "Together for Adoption." Check it out!! :) Once you're there, click on "About Us." Read away! :)

www.togetherforadoption.org

Love ya!

Salzwedel Family said...

Perfect! My feelings exactly...