We are swiftly approaching the 2 month marker of Joshua being home! Can you believe that?? I can't.
Over the weeks, I have struggled with the language barrier. It's not his fault. It's just very frustrating for ME not to be able to understand my two year old's babble. I remember that my eldest son didn't have perfect language skills when he was two, but because I had always been with him, I got him. Does that make sense? Joshua is by no means stupid and he says many things that I just wish I understood, as his mom. I really, really struggle with that.
I've also had to tell myself recently that his language skills aren't going to magically appear over night. It will take time, and immersion.
I've found that I'm having to slow down my speech with him. When I talk at my normal speed, he may not get it, and if he mimics me, he mixes everything up. Even when I slow it down, he still has a tendency to mix it all up. One word phrases, he does well with, for the most part. Sometimes he adds an extra blend or digraph to it at the end. For example: Shoe becomes shoesh. Sometimes he just says the absolute wrong mixed up thing. Like, for nose, he'll point to his nose and say "Behbes" and I just wonder if that is a language mix up of some sort. He still uses some creole that we recognize, like "Doo doo" for gentle and others.
For my encouragement, he understands most of what we request of him. So his understanding is there. He still gets confused though. Sometimes it's even cute. Like last night. He had opened the dishwasher and I said, "Close it, please" and he closed his eyes because earlier we were practicing opening/closing his eyes.
To get an idea of what phonetical sounds he's capable of, I went through each bath tub letter and made the sound, asking him to repeat. I was encouraged! Each phonetical sound that he successfully made I put on the tub. He even mimicked the numbers which he doesn't do every day.
Here's what he can't say, which is fairly typical at his age:
Now, the discouraging part is turning it into correctly pronounced words. Like any kiddo, if he can pat you and point to what he wants, he will. We encourage everyone that has anything to do with him to make him ask. Even if it's all wrong or doesn't make sense, he needs the practice.
Basically, what I've learned so far, is it won't come easy. It's an extra responsibility in many ways. It's work! I'm also trying to get over my 'perfectionist' tendencies. When I see a language article that says my 2 1/2 old should know 900 words, I just need to cool my jets and say, "Self, they are not talking about children that have just dumped their birth language and are now immersed in a new language." You would think that would be a "DUH" statement, but as I look for articles on my circumstances and come up short, it is discouraging.
No, I don't think he's in need of any intervention programs right now, but it would be nice to be more educated myself on how to encourage and do, and what to expect/not expect right now. So, if you have any wonderful resources pertaining to language development in children with our particular circumstance, clue me in!
In the meantime, I did find this site that I've enjoyed browsing:
Mommy Speech Therapy
Mommy Speech Therapy
Lots of books, lots of talking. I hope that a year from now, I can say we've made great progress.


3 comments:
Two months...wow!!!! Sounds like you are doing all the right things. I bet in a year you will be giving a glowing report!
Wow, Joshua is light years ahead of Avery! She can only make about 4 letter sounds when we run through the alphabet. D, T, N, and that's about it. I am concerned that she doesn't even come close to making many of the sounds correctly.
Thanks for the Mommy speech therapy link!
Sounds a lot like around here. Once we got him to say "please" we've moved on to making him repeat after us and ask for things. We have similar pronunciation difficulties...k, g, f and sh. Thanks for the blog link. And the 900 words... we aren't even beginning to be close to that...... I haven't counted recently, but we were under 10 not too long ago.
Post a Comment