Ahh. The new normal. It's a bit chaotic, honestly. We're still dealing with job shift issues and crazy days. We're homeschooling, maintaining a family and dialogue, trying to keep relationships strong, develop bonding and attachment, as well as coping skills....it leaves me tuckered at night.
So what's up? Well, I believe we're pretty normal with all of the stuff we're experiencing....here's a glimpse:
So what's up? Well, I believe we're pretty normal with all of the stuff we're experiencing....here's a glimpse:
Hair, baby, hair!
We're experimenting with things trying to bring moisture to Joshua's scalp and hair, promote growth, and heal his fungus and dry skin! He's on an oral med for the fungus, but I plopped down some pretty pennies on various products at Whole Foods the other day while we were out of town. First up, Burt's Bees Avacado Pre-Shampoo Treatment. Smells good, looks green, and sits in his hair and on his scalp for about 10 minutes while he plays. Rinse, wash, and then condition with Jason Tea Tree Conditioner. The conditioner should sit for as long as possible, my goal is 15 minutes. Once he's out and we pat him dry, I pick his curls out with a comb and African hair oil...forget it's exact name. So far, his hair is looking great and smelling super after just one cycle of this. I only plan to use shampoo once a week and the conditioner mid-week, or as needed. He loves to get his hair messy, and I can't even count how many times he's smeared peanut butter into his scalp now, so I have to go with the flow.
Reunions!
We drove to Louisville to take care of some USCIS stuff for our little 'alien' and were able to meet up with Joshua's biological brother and some other friends that just brought their sweeties home from Haiti. A blessing!! Joshua's a bit miffed in these photos because he had finally gotten the hang of the whole ChuckECheese experience when we decided it was photo time. He wasn't too happy about that. Oh well.
First time with a sitter!!
Steve and I got away Saturday evening and left the kids with cousin Meggy. Megan loves them and Joshua had instantly loved her, so we thought it was a good match. He did really well, as you can see in the photos Meggy took!
Language & Behavior!
He was walking through the house this morning with his pot of dishes on his head :~) He LOVES to get out the dishes, cook stuff, and serve it up to us. He enjoys loving on his sister's doll, but a minute later, he'll run over her head with a "machine." He plays rough with his bubby and sits sweetly to listen to his sister read a book. He's really fitting in well over all. He is talking at a typical 2 year old level, and he really uses his words when it counts. Like at bed time when he knows it's a good time to milk it for Mom. So he'll start in with a dozen I lub yous and mwen renmen ous and such. He's learned some sign language and his manners are greatly improving! He's still learning that he's not the boss, but I think that's typical 2. We're reading a lot of picture books he loves animal noises. He's a little parrot most of the time, as long as you aren't wanting to show off his skills!
He has exhibited some nutty behavior right before meal time. He wants to hang on my leg with his mouth open making that give me a bite noise, "ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah" constantly, while he smacks my leg and points and whines at whatever I'm doing (usually cooking). It's a frantic-are-you-gonna-feed-me-don't-forget-me-type thing. Tonight, Sis kept him in the living room and played while I prepared the meal. He was ill about it at first, but he ended up settling down, and waiting to be called into the kitchen for dinner.
He's also being a turkey in public sometimes. For example, last night we were at my older son's upward game, and he couldn't be let down to run around. I had to hold him. He didn't like that one bit. So, he would reach for any stranger that walked by, just so he could be freed. Of course, I wouldn't let him, but that's a bit embarassing! I know it's not an bonding issue because even if I had let him go, he probably would have hopped out of their arms just to get down and play, all the time staring me down. He doesn't let me out of his eyesight for very long. However, I would like for him to better understand the concept of strangers and listening to mama, not getting ill with me and reaching for any Tom, Dick or Harry!
Other than that, bedtime is regimented and routine now, he's sleeping through the night, still in a crib, taking more solid naps, eating well (he feels squishier than a month ago!), loves his family, getting used to the family dog, showing affection, playing well with others and by himself, sitting through church services fairly well, and wow. Could we ask for better at this point?
How are the rest of us? I'll save that for the next post! :~)


2 comments:
What a great update and wonderful pictures to boot. Keep 'em coming!
Love the pot of dishes on his head...teehee!
Have fun, these days go so quickly by!
Post a Comment