XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Monday, July 14, 2008

School Thoughts....

I'm placing my school order today. The kids are talking about school a bit more. Almost everyday. I'm going to enjoy the last few weeks of summer vacation, but we'll probably start on schedule with our church school. That would be August 14 or 15, I think. Soon enough.

I'll have a 3rd grader and a 1st grader this year! Whoo hoo! Here we go! So, here's my list of stuff, for those interested! I'll just list Avery today.

Avery, 1st grade

Phonics Pathways -- We're finishing up this book this year. Did the same thing with Daniel. Used PP for K & 1st grade. When he finished, I had an excellent reader on my hands. Avery's about halfway through it, she's doing great, right on track. She'll also read lots of Abeka readers and library books this year. Practice makes perfect!!

Explode the Code -- Extra work that helps her reading and spelling skills, as well as comprehension. She started these in Kindergarten, and she'll continue with them until she's finished.

Spelling Workout -- She'll begin the 1st grade level spelling program.

First Language Lessons -- Daniel did just fine with this in 1st grade. It covers 1st & 2nd grade grammar, and by 2nd grade, we were both a bit bored and I was wishing it had more writing expectations. A bit meatier. However, we already have it, it worked, & I save money by not purchasing anything new.

Horizons Math 1 -- We're big fans of the Horizons Math program. So far, so good with both kids.

Story of the World -- We'll begin with ancient history this year. Hopefully, she'll enjoy history as much as her brother.

Legends & Leagues -- Geography book, somewhat of a unit study, but we just do it occasionally all year long. By the end of the 1st grade year, Daniel knew the equator, longitude, latitude, the continents and the oceans. We were even working on the states. So, it's a decent little book. We have some CD's with those facts to music, too.

Mom's Science Curriculum -- First grade science around here is made by Mom! We'll study animals for a semester, than split a semester to study the human body and plant life. I could purchase a Living Learning curriculum for this year, but again, I'm trying to save money this year. Daniel did just fine with me finding our way through 1st grade science.

Now, I'm going to try and be a good mom this year and make sure our Five In A Row time doesn't get pushed aside. We'll see how that goes. Five In A Row is a program that brings in great children's literature, we spend about a week with that book.

She'll study art with Daniel in our art class. I'm using Artistic Pursuits, Book 2 for the elementary grades this year. Book 1 seemed to go well with all of my students. I hope to have another class this year.

So that's 1st grade for Avery. If I need to place an order, I get pretty much everything from http://www.rainbowresource.com for a decent price. I've also used http://www.veritaspress.com.

So that's 1st grade in a nutshell.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Nanny can help on the plant life ;)

I just got some "new" succulents! I can't wait to show them to the kids next weekend! They are so interesting and fun!
♥♥♥

Anonymous said...

Do you get a 'high' when planning and ordering? hehe I love that part. Sure, at times it gets stressful because you can't find "it" that perfect curriculum. That *one* you are looking for. But then you make a decision and whoa buddy :snort:

Salzwedel Family said...

I've never considered homeschooling or had any idea what it actually involves. Looks like you've really put a lot of thought into this. Very interesting!